An Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Self Test is ready for use. The test will be available over-the-counter at major U.S. retailers and does not require a prescription.
- – FDA Emergency Use Authorization permits asymptomatic, non-prescription, over-the-counter self use for people with or without symptoms
– The BinaxNOW COVID-19 Self Test is identical to the professional-use test, used since August 2020, bringing the most studied and widely used rapid antigen test to retail shelves across the country
– BinaxNOW Self Test will be available nationwide and in large quantities at major food, drug and mass merchandiser retailers nationally and will be priced affordably, similar to common over-the-counter (OTC) tests
– Together with vaccines, serial testing of asymptomatic people will help restore a sense of safety in everyday settings where people gather
– Asymptomatic multi-test authorization also applies to BinaxNOW professional-use test
ABBOTT PARK, Ill., March 31, 2021 /PRNewswire/ — Abbott (NYSE: ABT) announced today it has received U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for over-the-counter, non-prescription, asymptomatic use of its BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Self Test for detection of COVID-19 infection. This new indication allows individuals with or without symptoms to have access to this test without a prescription. Abbott will begin shipping to major food, drug and mass merchandiser retailers in the coming weeks and expect the test to be available through some of their online store websites.
Categories: DPC News